COST SAVING TIPS
COST SAVING TIPS
10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Highly recommend. Honest, accomodating to meet our needs. Very reasonable rates. Will be our first choice for all future work.
Bruce McCallister, 10/15/2021
Had a leak and it turned out to be a cracked reservoir. These guys instantly found the problem and took care of it. Highly recommend!
j c, 09/29/2021
I am new to the area and got an oil change at the local dealership. I picked my car up from the dealership and was told it needed a brand new steering gear and much more that would cost me over $1800. I called my tech from back home since my car is only 2 years old and he told me to get a second opinion because it did not sound right. I called AutoChoice and explained my situation to Lloyd Nichols. He was very honest and upfront with me. They got my car in just two days later to just look it over for me to make sure it was safe. There was nothing wrong with my car that the dealership claimed. Lloyd was very honest, professional, and in the business to do good. I will be making this my Service Center for the rest of my time living in Bloomington. They looked at my car free of charge and then gave me a quote of about $1200 less than the dealership if I actually did need that work. I would trust them with my every car need. Great People!
Emma S., 09/17/2021