COST SAVING TIPS
COST SAVING TIPS
10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At AutoChoice Service Center in Bloomington
I have a custom built car that has mostly Subaru parts. Repair shops all over Bloomington IN refused to work on it because they lacked the interest in doing anything out of the ordinary repair. Even specialty foreign auto repair stores wouldn't even look at it. Someone told me about AutoChoice and the work they did on their custom built car. I called and they agreed to look at it right away. After having it for two days they had diagnosed the problem and repaired the simple thing that was keeping it from starting(faulty battery cable). Replaced the part and charged a very reasonable fee for repair. I can not say enough good things about Adam and his staff at AutoChoice. "Your car is really easy to work on" was the quote of the day. They have a new and loyal customer in me.
Stephen Pritchard, 05/13/2022
Very good people and very good work, will be bringing my car back in the future.
Jesse P, 02/15/2022
I got a pre-purchase inspection last minute from these guys. They answered every question I had, and we even cracked a few jokes while I was waiting. If I lived in this area I would definitely be a repeat customer.
Gary Tepool, 04/25/2022